We often get asked how the leftover juice pulp can used. The juice pulp makes excellent compost. If you want to get more creative, you can use the juice pulp for cooking and baking as well.
Here is a wonderful recipe for Carrot Juice Pulp Crackers.
Those vegan and gluten-free crackers a perfect little snack with any dips like hummus and guacamole.
Recipe from Jerry James Stone:
1. You'll need about 2 cups of carrot juice pulp.
2. Add the 2 cups of pulp to a mixing bowl along with 1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1/4 cup quinoa flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt. For freshness, I keep whole flax seed on hand and just grind it in the coffee grinder. Any flour can be used, or you could probably omit it as the flax and chia seeds should bind the ingredients.
3. Mix the ingredients together such that the carrot pulp is well covered with the quinoa flour. Then let it stand for about 5 minutes. This is to let the quinoa flower absorb the liquid from the carrot pulp.
4. Add half of the water, that is 1/4 cup, and mix it all together. If you can form it into a ball and it sticks together, you are good to go. The dough shouldn't be tacky but it shouldn't fall apart either. If you need more water, add 1 teaspoon at a time until desired result.
5. Let the dough sit for a bit and then shape it into a disk. Place it on parchment paper, place another piece over it, and roll the dough out to about 1/8 of an inch thick. You can adjust the thickness based on what kind of cracker you want. If you make it really think, you can create crisps for using in a salad.
6. Sprinkle the top with chia seeds and sesame seeds, using the parchment paper to press the seeds into the dough. Take a pizza cutter and cut the dough into cracker-size pieces.
7. Place the dough, still on the paper, on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. You will need to adjust this too based on the moisture in your carrots. The crackers are done when you press on them and they no longer give. As the crackers bake, they will shrink and separate.
Enjoy this healthy treat!
View the full recipe